Saturday, January 9, 2010

Argentina: The Red Meat Diaries

I haven't posted in awhile because I have been in a steak-induced food coma for the past week or so. But the meat-sweats have recently subsided and I'm ready to roll.

After a wonderful, family-fun filled week in Mexico (with guest appearances by Prince Izzy), I went to great lengths to return to South America. After a bag search in Dallas, a nearly-missed flight in Santiago, a lost bag en route, and a scamming cab driver in Buenos Aires, I made it my hostel. It was quite a mission, but Buenos Aires is such a fantastic city, I decided that it was all worthwhile. I spent my first day in B.A. searching for my bag, which I eventually recovered after a trip back to the airport, but things really picked up after that.

The next day, I went for a long walk around the city. Having already been to B.A., I wasn't dying to see many sights, but the city has such a great atmosphere that it's nice just to wander. So I did the same thing the next day. I also ate a lot of steak and managed to catch an amazing, low-budget tango show at a small restaurant near my hostel.

On Wednesday, Jessica arrived from Toronto, which made for a very joyous reunion. She will be featured as a guest blogger in the upcoming weeks. Jess and I spent the afternoon attempting to make travel plans before we gave up, went for steaks, and then back to our hostel for a party.

The next day, after an embarrassingly slow start, we walked to the neighbourhood of Palermo, accidentally wandering through Jew Town on the way. Once in Palermo, we spent the afternoon enjoying the shops, cafes, and trendy folk. After an empanada dinner, we spent the evening hanging out at our hostel. It's not as dorky as it sounds, we were staying at a pretty hopping spot.

On Friday, we gave up on making our own plans and turned to a travel agent, who helped us plan a great trip around Argentina. After spending a few hours walking around San Telmo, which is a kind of artsy, funky area in B.A., we caught an overnight bus to Salta, where we are now. I have to mention the bus, because it was incredible. We were both a bit nervous about the 18-hour bus ride, but it turned out that the bus had: fully-reclining, first-class sized seats and leg rests; blankets and pillows; tvs; horrible, Spanish ballads blasting over the speakers; and a "bus-attendent", who brought us dinner (with wine), after-dinner drinks, snacks, breakfast, and snacks again. Quite an experience.

We arrived in Salta around mid-day today and have been getting settled in our hostel. We have a few excursions planned for the next few days before we move on to Mendoza.

Hasta luego!

Sarah (and Jess!)

No comments:

Post a Comment